3.4.10

My birthday girl

Dear Bella,

You are three years old today. Three is the perfect number for you because it describes you so accurately. You are one part girly girl, one part spider monkey, and one part clever beyond your years.
When I think back to this time a year ago, I am blown away by how much you've grown. While you had a great starter vocabulary, you've become a full-on conversationalist and a strategic thinker. You know your full name, your street address, your colors and shapes, your numbers to 50 (by ones and tens), and you aren't afraid to share your knowledge with the world. You've also learned to take a compliment thanks to the many times throughout the day people -- including random strangers -- exclaim how beautiful you are.
But here's what I want you to know. You are a precious gift who makes my heart soar. I hear your little Minnie Mouse voice and can't help but smile. I watch you wave and smile at everyone you see in the course of a day and feel so proud that you are mine. No matter what happens in your life, please never doubt for one second that you are a blessing on this earth.
You are smart and gorgeous and funny. You have a generous spirit and have yet to meet a child you didn't love. Babies and puppies make your face light up. You want to read on your own so badly it hurts. Your older brother is your hero and staunchest supporter. Your father is adamant that you're a genius and a born superstar.
And none of it matters. You, my sweet girl, are enough. Without the big brown eyes and to-die-for lashes, you are enough. Without the infectious laughter and ability to put together a puzzle in three minutes or less, you are enough. Without near-perfect memory and amazing attention to detail and a surprising grasp of nuance, you are enough.
I love you so much it hurts. My hope for you is that you always love yourself just as much. Never let anyone make you feel that you must be more and better to deserve love and respect. Stripped bare, with nothing but a song in your heart and a smile in your eyes, you are enough.
May you have the best third birthday ever.

Love, Mama

17 comments:

  • Sharon G

    Happy Birthday Bella!!!! Sending lots of love, hugs, and birthday wishes from Canada!!!

  • Lori

    Happy Birthday Miss Bella!!!! I hope you have a wonderful time out in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • suzannah | the smitten word

    happy birthday, sweet girl !

  • Anonymous

    What a wonderful post! And what a wonderful mommy she is so blessed to have!

  • Janine

    Happy 3rd Birthday, Bella~! Beautiful post, Kelly...= )

  • Anonymous

    Happy birthday, bella Bella!

    This is such a beautiful tribute to your daughter, Kelly. I teared up reading your lovely words - especially the sentiment about Bella being enough just as she is.

  • Chibi Jeebs

    Happy (belated) birthday, Bella! :)

  • Kelly Miller

    Thank you everyone for wishing Bella a happy birthday. She is so proud of being three years old (while holding up four fingers)!

  • Draft Queen

    Happy birthday to Bella!

  • Anonymous

    Sorry I'm a day late on this Kelly, I haven't had much computer time this weekend. I want to wish Miss Bella a very happy birthday!!

    What a lovely post! I wish I had half your talent as a writer.

  • Kelly Miller

    @Anjie - Flattery will get you everywhere. ;) Happy birthday to MirandaPanda, too. I can't wait to see you guys this summer!

    @Jill - you're back!

  • amber_mtmc

    I too haven't had much computer time this weekend so am late in my birthday wishes.

    This is such a thoughtful and beautiful post celebrating your daughter. She really has grown!!

    Happy birthday Bella!!

  • Jack Steiner

    Happy Birthday- she is very cute.

  • The Drama Mama

    Awww!! This post is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday, Bella!!

  • Jen

    What a cutie. She's so lucky to have a documented third b'day!

  • Jami

    Oh how beautiful! Kelly, you are an amazing mother. Please save this. Print it out and put it in a place she will have access to as she grows up. She is a doll. And a lucky girl to have you as her mama. Happy Birthday, Bella!

  • Cheryl

    *sniff* What a touching post, Kelly! I hope Bella gets to read this when she's older.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!