19.4.10

Roots

Yesterday Bella and I left the Mountain Man and his budding Mountain Boy home to go fishing and roll around in dirt while us girls headed off to a mini-family reunion. There was no way those two were going to give up a lazy Sunday afternoon on the water to sit around with strangers and eat, right?

I was worried about attending with Bella because a) it was scheduled smack dab in the middle of Bella's usual nap time and b) we aren't close with this part of the family so we didn't know anyone and that could leave us open to being annoying (you know, when my over-tired toddler tried to shank someone). That's a recipe for disaster if ever there was one.

But my big girl handled herself just fine. We sat around with 13 generations of the whitest family you've ever met (which is only obvious when you're the only person of mixed ethnicity in the room), but we had a great time and were welcomed with open arms. I especially enjoyed hearing how our mannerisms, personalities, and sayings are rooted in generations past.

But Bella's favorite part was the music. You don't get together in the South without someone breaking out an instrument and this get-together was no different. There were two acoustic guitars, a wide range of "mouth organs," and a ukulele along with very talented singers. Bella climbed herself up between two of the guitar players and stayed there until I forced her to move (because she kept pulling her dress up -- not exactly family reunion material).



Then she got her hands on the ukulele and it was over. I finally pried her hands off it after several other people tried to extract it from her. Suffice it to say, she'll be getting one of her own sooner rather than later. And perhaps we'll take everyone's advice and go ahead and get her started on lessons.



Apparently, she's a natural (and, of course, that runs in the family).

**I have linked this post to the 30-minute blog challenge.**

13 comments:

  • Cheri

    How adorable! Go ahead and encourage it now - studies show that kids who learn music do better in math in school.

  • Minnesota Mamaleh

    lovely post, great pictures and ADORABLE little one! you described the mixed bag of family reunions perfectly. i'm happy that your little girl jumped right in and made herself comfortable; b/c sometimes that's the best way to make a good time happen! thanks. :)

  • amber_mtmc

    I am still stuck on how you went to a family reunion alone. I guess you know my issues with social gatherings. : )

  • Kelly Miller

    @Amber - oh honey, I wasn't ALONE alone. I was with my younger sister. She would've had to go alone if I didn't go with her, so I had no choice. She and I have to stick together. We had our fingers crossed that Bella would provide the comic relief to an otherwise anxiety-filled day.

    @Mamaleh - Yes it is! She was the life of the party and really helped us jump in and start talking to these people who we have so much in common with.

    @Cheri - You know I was pricing ukeleles right?

  • The Drama Mama

    She's so cute!! And so funny, but aren't all toddlers? I adore the purple ukelele, too.

  • Janine

    What a great time! I lol with the whole 'pulling her dress up' bit...so can relate! Awesome that Bella got to be a part of this family time...she is absolutely beaming with that ukelele! Can't wait to see future posts about her mad skills! Glad she didn't try to shank anyone. You're too funny!

  • Kelly Miller

    @Janine - she did get an evil look when one of the other kids was getting some attention, but I had patted her down before we went in, so no one lost an eye. You think I'm joking! ;)

    @DM - Yes, toddlers are awesomely hilarious. Just when you think your brain will crack, they do something crazy and you realize you just need to laugh a little.

  • Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities

    such a priceless picture! She does indeed need her very own! Must check out this 30 min blog challenge!

  • BigLittleWolf

    What a delightful tale - and too adorable with the ukulele. I love how kids gravitate to what is creative and joyful. Music certainly can fit that bill!

  • Hannah

    I love the idea of making music at a family get-together. It seems like a dying art, and one which I wish many more of us could recapture.

  • Unknown

    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. She looks like she is totally enthralled with that guitar : ) I can't wait to see her grow in that skill! She is deliciously cute : )

  • Jami

    They ALWAYS schedule that stuff during naptime. What's up with that? I'm glad Bella had fun. Oh and you too! :)

  • Cheryl

    How excited is she to be playing that ukelele! That grin!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!