22.4.10

Celebrating our Earth

Last year, I wrote a lengthy post outlining the ways I live "greenly" each day, along with some things I wanted to improve upon. Out of six goals, I accomplished five of them. That's pretty good, right?

Over the year I have joined a local co-op so that fresh products are delivered to my door each week (and plan to scale it back once Farmer's market season starts); usually skip meat for lunches (or at least every other lunch) and sometimes for dinner, as well; when I forget my reusable grocery bags, I simply refuse the plastic ones and unload the groceries item by item into my car (and then re-bag them at the house to bring them in) -- which is so labor-intensive that I rarely forget my bags anymore; we're selling our boat and have swapped out one older vehicle with a newer one that boasts cleaner emissions; and I always turn off the tv or laptop when not in use.

Score, right?! I still don't eat organically, but we just can't afford it and I've chosen not to feel badly about it. We have also begun gardening and composting since this time last year -- last summer through the Community Garden and this time on our own -- and we're doing it organically. Double score. ;)

Also, this year I made sure the kids were involved in celebrating the day. We transplanted our marigolds and a cabbage plant into beautiful pots for giving as gifts. If you receive one, pretend like it's a surprise because the kids are might excited about it. I also plan to watch Food, Inc. with Javi tonight. He's more excited about it than I am.
 
 
Can you believe how well our little Marigold seeds grew? I hope it wasn't a fluke because I'm getting brave with this whole gardening thing!

How are you celebrating Earth Day?

6 comments:

  • Anna and Drew

    What Co-op do you use?

  • Kelly Miller

    I joined Carolina Grown (www.carolinagrown.org), which is based in Mamers, but sells food from farms across NC.

    They only offer seasonal products, but they have a variety of meats, cheese, and seafood. We get our eggs and milk from them and sweet potatoes, kale, collards, strawberries, and (this week) sunchokes.

    I think it'll be slightly cheaper to purchase from the Farmer's Market, but those products aren't always organic. Carolina Grown is mostly organic.

  • BigLittleWolf

    You Earth Day looks like fun! I will enjoy a short walk - and that is a great deal, to me. What could be better than a bit of fresh air, sunshine, and feeling your body moving? It's not something I take for granted these days!

  • Cheri

    Kudos on completing so many goals! I too use reusable bags at the grocery store, we recycle everything we possibly can, and I buy organic when and where I can find it. Gardening is totally NOT my thing but I applaud everyone who does enjoy it! Yeah you!

  • The Drama Mama

    I'm celebrating with the giveaway, LOL. Sorry I don't have anything else. It sounds like y'all had a fun day though.

  • Cheryl

    This is awesome, Kelly! I'd really like to start gardening and composting. We need to build a fence first. Hopefully one of these days.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!