12.4.10

Birthdays are forever

After a full week of celebrations, Bella is convinced that every Saturday is her birthday. We had a small party while camping for Easter (her actual birthday was the 3rd) and then her big party this weekend (the 10th).

She told me this morning as we snuggled together, "I'm gonna pway wid my fwiens in ma doffin pood at my nother birthday party on Sattahday." Nothing I say can convince her there won't be a party full of friends playing in her dolphin pool. We'll see how she takes it when Saturday rolls around.

But if you had a day like this, wouldn't you want it to go on forever?







Lessons learned:
  • Either serve finger sandwiches or serve hot dogs because if you put hot dogs on the table, the finger sandwiches will go uneaten. 
  • No matter how cute the cupcakes are, my child will still only eat the frosting and then beg for ice cream. 
  • Fruit is the only side you need, but don't spend your money or time on sliced apples. Watermelon, strawberries, and grapes will be gobbled up in record time will the apples just brown. 
  • Don't try to transport tea to the party. It'll just slosh everywhere while your guests blow through canned sodas and juice boxes.
  • Even though it's early April and chilly in the morning, go ahead and slather on the sunscreen. Your children will thank you.
  • Designate a party photographer because you will not remember to take the pictures you want.

But today is glorious because parties and holidays are behind us until ... September I think. Dude. That makes me smile more than this does:
Can you believe it?

22 comments:

  • Janine

    I wish I could've been there! Awesome party! The cupcakes were way pretty, and it looks like everyone had an amazing time. I can so relate and I smiled right along with you at the end of your post. Our 'stuff' (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) begin on October 5th, and end on January 19th every year. That's one anniversary, five birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I love February. = )*sigh*

  • BigLittleWolf

    This looks like so much fun! (Can you organize my next birthday party??)

    They're so precious at that age. . .

  • Cheryl

    Those are some awesome-looking cupcakes! Bella looks so happy - love it. I hope you're able to rest and recover a bit now.

  • Jen

    Oh, MAN. I am in denial about my son's b'day party, coming up fast. I have to get on the ball. But, after that, a break till September, like you. (Except? I have two kids whose b'days are four days apart. Ew.)

  • Kelly Miller

    @Janine - Ouch! Our "season" starts in September, then it's 9 birthdays and 4 holidays until things calm down. Apparently Jan-March is an active time for baby-making in our family!

  • Kelly Miller

    @BLW - I would love to, but I have a feeling you'd do a much better job. I can plan a killer kid party ... not so much with the adult stuff.

  • Kelly Miller

    @Cheryl - Today was fantastic ... an empty house for six long hours and not a single deadline near enough to worry about. Love it!

  • Kelly Miller

    @Jen - 4 days apart? What were you thinking?! I suggest a picnic party if he'll have it. The park was free, throw some 'dogs and fruit on the table, and let 'em play.

  • Anonymous

    What a great party! Isn't it nice when the weather cooperates!

  • The Drama Mama

    It looks like it was a fabulous party!! I love her heart shaped sunglasses. And I adore the picture of her sitting with a friend. She is such a happy girl!

  • TKW

    She is adorable! It looks like a complete success.

  • Cheri

    Score for Kelly! Great job with the party. I learned my lessons long ago with parties - food comes from Subway (premade sub slices) and the grocery store (party trays of fruits, veggies, chips and dip, and a few sides like potato salad). All drinks are single serving bottles & cans. I buy the high end (Chinette) paper plates and napkins and plastic silverware. At the end of the day, clean-up is just walking around with a huge trash bag!

  • Kelly Miller

    @TDM - That's her "best friend" Kaylee (from school), not to be confused with her best friends Ivy or Skylar or Harley. What can I say - she's a lover!

    @Cheri - You know my green heart won't let me buy too many disposable products. I even brought camping plates and forks for folks to eat off of and made everyone recycle their cans. It's a pain at the time, but conscience feels good at the end of the day. I was wishing for some paper plates, though, when the sun was beating down on us 2 hours later!

  • CaneWife

    That looks like a fantastic party!

  • suzannah | the smitten word

    what fun! i feel like bar has been set:)

  • Draft Queen

    I think I shall show up for this dolphin pool party Bella is hosting Saturday. She looks like a good person to party with!

  • Kelly Miller

    @Suzannah - Oh, I'm sure you can do much better!

    @Jill - I'd love to see you in the dolphin pool. Perhaps with a margarita in hand.

  • Sarah

    Oh man. I have such a love/hate relationship with birthday parties. And, well, birthdays in general. Actually, any holiday except Christmas. There is always such anxiety to make it perfect. Though I realize, of course, that perfection is not needed. Just hot dogs and cupcakes.

    Love love love your list. I wonder, will you remember to consult it come September? Don't worry, I'll remind you. :)

  • Penny Williams

    she is the cutest!

  • Holly Lefevre

    That looks like a super-fun birthday. What is it with kids eating only the frosting off of the cupcakes?

    Holly
    504 Main

  • ♥ Sarah @ FFP ♥

    AWW, so cute!!! I just had my daughter's first birthday. I cannot wait until she gets as excited about birthdays as I do!! :)

  • Kelly Miller

    Thanks Sarah! I tried to leave a comment on your site but it wouldn't let me.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!