1.10.10

I'm thinking pink (for the record)

For the record:
200,000 women diagnosed with breast cancer
in the US this year alone.
1 of 8 in her lifetime:
Mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, friends ...

Following the rules won't protect you.
Doing everything "right" is not enough.
We need more research and testing
and talking and laughing and sharing.

We need to remember we are
Strong. Confident. Intelligent. Brave. Talented. Aware.
And we are never, ever alone.
For the record.

”Write

We all know someone who has fought cancer. This is the month to share our stories, their stories.

I am partnering with Bigger Picture Blogs to listen and laugh and share in stories of loss and survival and strength.

And to further show my support, I've taken the the Love/Avon Army of Women pledge to help recruit ONE MILLION WOMEN of all ages and ethnicities to sign up and participate in breast cancer research studies. Go to Army of Women to take the pledge and join the campaign. Do it for all of us.

Won't you take the pledge to Write Pink: from the Head, Heart and Feet?

Head over to Bigger Picture Blogs to start on your journey toward making a difference.

10 comments:

  • Anonymous

    very cool. and excellent use of your platform to get the word out.

  • Anonymous

    My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She has had two mastectomies. We often have to laugh or cry at her total lack of breasts. One time she was in a dressing room with her sister, and her sister said, "When I lose weight it comes from my boobs first. Does that happen to you?" Pause. Burst of laughter. Of course not, not anymore.

  • Anonymous

    Yes, dear friend. I'm with you.

  • cj Schlottman

    Thanks for the timely reminder. I have been giving out pink ribbons all day and have been raising money for The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer since 2004, when we lost or daughter-in-law at the age of 40.

    I'm with you..........cj

  • Hyacynth

    Oh, such wonderful, compelling words, Kelly! I'm so glad to be blogging right along side you for AOW and its mission to stop breast cancer before it ever starts.
    Thanks for linking up today, too. :)

  • C (Kid Things)

    My mom is a 15 year survivor. I was in high school when she was diagnosed, I saw what she went through. The thought that it could come back still scares the crap out of her. And me.

  • Rudri

    Compelling and important post. A great way to get the word out. Thanks Kelly.

  • Leslie

    Hear hear. Couldn't imagine a better topic, for the record.

  • Bibliomama

    Well done.

  • Justine

    Great job in getting the word out. I will be joining BPB as well - what a great cause!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!