5.10.10

Catch and Release

Some days I feel lost in the hectic routine of daily life. But just when days start blurring together and I begin wondering (again) when I'll ever have time to carve out the slow-paced, even-more-purposeful life I want for myself ... something crazy magical happens.


Like finding a chickadee trapped inside your bird feeder. You almost can't believe that this is your life and you look around for the candid cameras.


But instead of a camera crew, to the rescue come your son and husband. You watch in awe as the mountain man and his mountain-man-in-training gently extricate a tiny bird without hurting it, and then you shake your head in disbelief as they pet its little head -- slender child fingers and thick man hands and easy, honest smiles.


And you realize that your days aren't passing you by and your moments are precious and your desperate grasping for meaning is what's keeping you from feeling it. So you relax your hands and let life happen. Crazy magical.

***This post is part of the 30-minute blog challenge.***

13 comments:

  • Rudri

    Beautiful sentiment. Kelly, I really liked this post.

  • Bibliomama

    Ah. Yeah. That's it.

  • Cheri

    That is so stinkin' COOL! And amazing that the little birdie just sat there on Mountain Man's hand and let you take pictures! What a scrapbook page that will make. And your sentiments about the experience are beautiful. Loved this Kelly.

  • Corinne Cunningham

    Love this... everything about it. The moments are here for the taking :)

  • Angela

    Hi there, over from Steady Mom! And I love how the unexpected blessings bring such beauty to our lives! Thanks for sharing!

  • Liz

    how did the little guy get in there??? i love that he hung out with your guys and took advantage of some photo opps. :)

  • Jessica

    Just beautiful. I'm sitting here on the couch, soaking in your words, my feet in Ben's lap as he reads your post over my shoulder. What beauty there is in the simple magic.

  • Maria @BOREDmommy

    Love the pics - I adore chickadees, and I love how he stayed on his hand like that! Fantastic!

  • Cathy Reaves

    Truly magical. I remember those black-capped chicadees. (or whatever they're called). Beautiful. They would come and eat bird seed right out of our hands when I was a kid.

  • Leslie

    Very cool. I had one of those moments this week, too - sitting in the rain under a tree holding my sleeping baby under a fuzzy blanket, it just grounds you.

  • Draft Queen

    Love this.

  • Anonymous

    Oh my God Kelly. Thank you. Thank you. I needed to read this. Huge sighs here. HUGE sighs.

  • Jami

    beautiful.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!