9.2.10

Cheesecake!

For as long as I can remember, when my mom spotted some white, fleshy part of someone's body (mine, my sisters', our children's...) she'd yell out "cheesecake!" And the person in possession of that cheesecake would scurry in horror (or delight) at having been seen.

We continued this tradition with Bella, who falls firmly in the delight category. The child loves being naked, and absolutely adores other people seeing her naked. She's been known to flash her ladyparts at innocent bystanders (thankfully all immediate family) and loves to poke her butt out and taunt, "You seein' my cheesecake!"

For the past few weeks, I've tried to curb her exhibitionism with layers upon layers of clothes: onesie, tights, pants, shirts. Nothing worked. Like a miniature Houdini, she escaped all attempts at modesty. I have been forced to pull out the big guns: dresses.

The child loves a dress. She puts one on and immediately spins in circles while proclaiming, "I da fwincess!" And then she refuses to ever take it off, even though I bribe her with the promise of paint or playing outside or taking a bath. No matter how indulgent or luxurious, she holds onto that dress with both hands.

I can't rely on dresses to keep her safely covered forever, but for now, not only is it working for us, she's looking dang cute to boot. Now I just have to figure out a way to keep her hair from looking like it's never seen a brush. One thing at a time, right?!

What works for you?

11 comments:

  • Anonymous

    I love dresses on little girls!! I do the same thing with leggings. :)

  • Nikki

    What a cutie pie! I had trouble keeping my daughter modest in dresses when she was a preschooler. She was always doing somersaults and sticking her tush in the air flashing everyone. But she LOVED to wear dresses as well. The tights were the trick with us. And telling her that if she wanted to be a princess then she needed to be modest.

  • Anonymous

    My daughter wears a LOT of leggings under dresses. They're so easy! And really, they last a long time. She's 17 months old and has a leggings and dress set that she's worn almost a full year now - although they're more a shirt and shorts set now!

  • Ally

    What a sweet little girl! Oh my word...love those curls!! I don't have any advice for you as I only have a little boy, but I couldn't leave without telling you how cute the "cheesecake" tradition is!

  • TKW

    Miss D.'s hair is always CRAZY. I think people are assuming I just never brush it. Ouch.

    Cute dress!

  • Liz Aguerre

    OH I love the hair...but the "cheesecake" thing? Oh my that would've scarred me for life! =)

  • Draft Queen

    My daughter is 11. Only when the mood strikes her will she actually do her hair in a manner that looks like it's been tended to. She has this half curly/ half straight hair and it's been all over the place since the day it grew in there. I have very distinct memories of chasing her with a hairbrush before kindergarten just so her teachers wouldn't think she was neglected!

  • Kelly Miller

    @Liz, you learn quickly to be well covered when you leave your room or the bathroom. There were no robes or towels after a shower -- it was full clothes before you stepped foot out the door!

    I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling sheepish and tortured by unruly child hair. My mom finger-curled mine for years, so it's multi-generational too!

  • Kelly

    She's adorable! We have the same trouble with my youngest...unfortunately a dress won't work for him. I did discover that he likes his dad's t-shirts though and will sometimes keep those on. Glad you found something that works for now!

  • Jami

    She's adorable!

  • Jenny

    Heh that's cute.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!