23.4.12

The Shift

The subtle shift started a few months ago. Fewer words written from someone else, more words spoken and plans made for myself.

Work. The ultimate four letter word. For years I've lamented that my type of work -- freelance writing -- means no free weekends, no free vacations, no down time spent any way I choose. For me, there's a deadline around every corner and you never say no to an opportunity for more of them.

My inner voice says be lucky you have these contracts at all. It tells me you're lucky and that the work won't always be there. It warns me don't burn bridges and say yes to anything that pays.

But there's a smaller voice that spoke up firmly and confidently those months ago. It said not all paychecks are the same. Not every offer is worth the money it brings through the door. Charge more, accept less, do only what makes you happy.

Cue the earth-shattering breakthrough moment.

Yes. My experience and skills are valuable, especially in a world where content is king and the message must be packaged in a way that motivates those who receive it.

All those words are fancy talk for what I'm seeing in my life: People will pay when present your product as valuable.

Shift!

I have clients instead of contracts. I spend less time writing articles and more time coaching people into identifying their business goals and coaxing out the way they'll connect with consumers. The end product is still content, but it has a face and it brings a relationship.

Fulfillment in a totally new way that allows me to leave my house and leave my computer behind, that leads to happier children, a more connected marriage, and the time to be creative.

Change is afoot, and I am soaking it in.


19 comments:

  • TKW

    We miss you, but I'm glad you're finding things that are fulfilling you in other ways!

  • Stacia

    More time for creativity? And probably more sleep? I'm all for it, friend.

  • Justine

    Kelly, I love this because that's exactly where I am now too. People are so eager for a service yet they're not willing to pay for it, and it undermines our integrity and the value of our work if we accept everything that comes along because we think we have to.

    Good for you for realizing that you set your course and that your clients will have to pay for your services because you add value to their product/service. Those who nickel and dime will always find the shortest and cheapest route and no amount of coaching will help them see that these aren't always the best paths to success.

    Preserve your sanity and be picky with clientele because it helps you do your best work, and you know that will only help you get more work!

    (Sorry if I sound preachy - I think this is my own exercise in making myself believe in the things I just said because I really need it!)

  • HynesMom

    Sounds like you've made a decision that makes you happy!

  • Laurie

    That's an awesome change to make. I work for myself too and I have started learning not every client is meant to be MY client and that when I take on projects I need to be more sure of my own worth. It's so freeing!

  • Alita

    Sounds like you have found a good balance between work and family life, even though it something that constantly changes. Opportunity does occur when quality and integrity combine. You are a talented writer, your time is valuable. And that means all of your time.

    Thank you for sharing this, Kelly.

    Alita

  • Heather Caliri

    I love hearing about how you are making your own business, honoring your gifts, and being confident enough to get paid for it. Here's to some of that mojo rubbing off on me :)

  • Cathy Reaves

    Sounds like quality of quantity if I interpreted this correctly - priceless. I do miss the chicken stories though..... ;-)

  • Aidan Donnelley Rowley

    "Change is afoot, and I am soaking it in."

    What a wonderful thing. Celebrate it.

    xo

  • Natalie

    Hi Kelly!

    This is FAB and I love it! I have a mirror that says YOU GO GIRL! around the frame. I'm holding it up for you today!

  • Belinda

    Congratulations!
    I love hearing about these breakthroughs. Value is a tricky thing to master and to believe in particularly when it's wrapped up in dollars.
    So very happy to hear you've realized the real value of your service, time and talents.

  • BigLittleWolf

    These moments are about realizing your own worth, and also how precious our time is with family, and for ourselves.

    Good for you.

  • Mel Gallant

    Kelly - that's so awesome you realized this shift into being. Recognizing the value of your time - fantastic. Congratulations. :)

  • Rudri

    Congrats Kelly! I know you've been in these parts less, but I am so glad its been filled with goodness. Especially one you can sink into.

  • Kate

    Isn't it amazing how it all boils down to how we see ourselves?

  • Kelly Miller

    Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I am still defining and refining my professional self, but it definitely helps to believe in my worth and the value I bring to the table. It's been a long time in the learning!

  • Andrea @ Shameless Agitator

    Soaking in change... I love it!

  • Sarah

    When a good change like this comes--one that is really, really of your own making--that's exactly what you should do: Soak it UP!

    There's a shift happening over here, too. It's got something to do with slowing down and setting the tone and waking up and...oh yes, quite big things. I'm excited and scared as hell that I'll make nothing of this something that really wants to come.

  • Cheryl

    Way to go, Kelly! I'm so happy for you!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!