6.1.11

Heart and Soul

I looked in the rear view mirror this morning and saw my sweet little Bay-Bay singing with her eyes closed. She wasn't belting out the lyrics (as she usually does). Her voice was quiet and her face was still as she sang along to Tim McGraw's "My Little Girl."

My heart seized up. I don't know what I did to deserve this fiesty-soft little creature with her flashing eyes and super-star smile. This morning she sang "Firework" to me while I brushed her hair and then threatened to cut my fingers off when I took away Javi's favorite toy.


I kept watching her sing, watched her feel the music and fumble with the words. And then she opened her eyes and laughed and said, "My daddy sure does sing me some good songs!" And I laughed with her.

This girl is a gift I don't deserve. She's perfect and stubborn and completely full of herself and mine. My billy goat mountain girl. My fart-joke-loving belly-always-out such-a-little-sister. My tiny blonde warrior.


My heart and soul.

13 comments:

  • ShannonL

    Oh, that is so sweet, Kelly! It would really touch me if I looked back to see my daughter doing that, too! She's awesome!

  • Leslie

    Those ARE "flashing eyes." Perfect.

  • Unknown

    so sweet!

  • ME

    Yes she seems to be a smart kid :) Off course you deserve her that's the reason you have her !
    What's Your Parenting Style?
    Check out what your parenting quotient is.
    http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/parentingstyle/parentingstyle_instructions.asp

  • Anonymous

    Sigh. So awesome.

  • Cheri

    ah, the rare moments that make parenthood so worthwhile! enjoy it.

  • Liz

    Watch out, world! Here comes Bella!

  • Stacia

    I love that second picture. Love. It. And Tim McGraw frequently makes me tear up. My little girl singing some of those lyrics? And I'd be a gushy mess.

  • The Drama Mama

    I thought you had a typo in there somewhere. I read something that said you don't deserve her? That HAS to be a big fat typo, yes?

    Aren't they amazing how they can just capture your heart when you least suspect it?

  • ck

    She is perfect for you. Ever mama needs a little blonde warrior. How else would we be able to let go of who we once were and live in the present?

  • Heather of the EO

    aw, yes. Love this.

  • Rudri

    I love the mischief in her eyes. Heart and soul - I can definitely see it and feel it in your words.

  • Anonymous

    Beautiful post. We don't deserve these kids, that's for certain. I'm sure I'll mess mine up, and they were so perfect when I got them.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!