29.9.09

WFMW: Greek your yogurt

I used to be a yogurt lover. Then I got pregnant and suddenly even the thought of yogurt turned my stomach ... until I tried greek yogurt. It's a whole different animal -- rich, thick, creamy. Even the 100% fat free version is decadent and indulgent.

So for a few weeks I paid out the wazoo for greek yogurt ($1.50 per one-serving for greek tub versus $0.25 per one-serving tub for regular). And then a miracle happened into my life and a foodie friend of mine shared her secret: just strain the water of your regular yogurt.

Here's how I do it: Line a strainer with cheesecloth (or paper towels) and set it over a bowl or pot. Dump your regular yogurt (I buy the large in-bulk tubs of generic low-fat french vanilla) in the strainer and let it sit for a few hours (or overnight). When you come back later, you'll have thick and creamy yogurt in the strainer and cups of liquid hanging out in the bowl.

If you want cheap, greek-style yogurt, this is the most affordable (and tasty) way to get it.

This is what works for me. What works for you?

4 comments:

  • Erin @ Closing Time

    What a great tip! I love yogurt, but I don't like the way the fat free seems so watery. This would do the trick!

  • Anna and Drew

    Mix it with honey. Trust me!

  • Kelly Miller

    Anna - I tried it today and you were right!

    Erin - I only strained mine for like 4 hours today and it was so good. You'd be surprised how much liquid strains out!

  • Niki Jolene

    Oh man I gotta try this!

    Great tip...thanks for sharing!

    :)

    Stop by and see me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! (If you want an emailed response, be sure to enable email in your Blogger settings -- see a tutorial here.)

Now. Spill it!